Assessments are an important part of teaching – they help determine how much students understand or retain the course material. Iowa State University outlines the benefits of Classroom Assessment Techniques and describes a variety of informal techniques instructors can put into practice.
These tool can:
- Provide feedback for immediate change
- Nurture the teaching learning relationship process with the student
- Address the misconceptions immediately
They can reveal:
- Course related knowledge
- Student attitudes, values and self-awareness
- Reactions to instruction methods
Performing assessments through out the term can help improve the student learning experience and also help the instructor adjust teaching throughout the course delivery.